‘Honors’ at USC… Which Program is Right for me personally?
You’ve come this far—you’ve gotten accepted to USC! i am sure the very first thing in your thoughts now is ways to challenge yourself to the fullest level throughout your four years as a Trojan. Ok, ok, maybe researching Honors tools at USC isn’t the first thing on your to-do list (you’re busy applying for housing and ordering football tickets, right?) So, we thought we would bring the given information for you! Here you will find the details on two honors options at USC: Freshman Science Honors and Thematic Option.
The Freshman Science Honors Program, or FSH, supplies a rigorous yet personalized experience for first year students within the natural sciences. Rather than using the most common freshmen 12 months technology courses, FSH pupils simply take an advanced version of these classes that have both an inferior lecture and conversation section. This fosters a more hands-on experience in labs, more individualized attention from faculty, and a more collaborative environment amongst FSH Scholars. FSH also runs beyond the classroom, providing possibilities for field trips, guest lectures, etc.
Austin Carter, a sophomore majoring in Biological Sciences, took part in FSH and says he initially applied because he ‘was excited about working with a smaller group of people’ and ‘thrives off collaboration.’ He definitely unearthed that teamwork through FSH: ‘Through collaborating on labs or studying for tests, our work that is hard brought together.’ He also notes that a study trip to Catalina ‘offered an opportunity to really get to know one another not in the classroom setting.’ To learn more, including just how to apply, please check out Apply for FSH . Please note that the 2013 due date is April 10th, and to qualify, you have to be a declared science that is natural.
Thematic Option, or even TO since it is referred to on campus, is a system that replaces USC’s General Education curriculum with an interdisciplinary core curriculum. While maybe not a humanities program per say, TO is very reading and writing intensive, so students deciding on this program should be prepared for this sort of rigor. This program is probably not for you if you don’t LOVE reading and writing. Like FSH, TO provides students with a smaller learning environment which enables greater discussion amongst students and faculty.
Aaron Brown, Associate Director of Admission, participated in TO when he had been a pupil at USC. Aaron says that TO ‘became a way that is great shrink this large institution up to a more manageable size’ and states it provided him with a fantastic community of like-minded pupils. Aaron claims his favorite TO course had been Core 102 that he took their semester that is first of themed ‘The Hero’s Journey.’ He says one instance that sticks out is as soon as the class invested a period that is entire just two paragraphs of Heart of Darkness. Aaron states it absolutely was a ‘wow, this is college’ moment for him. Aaron even got a trip to Disneyland out of the experience during his Core 101 course whenever they were studying Mickey Mouse as an icon that is cultural. He notes that as a freshman brand new to Los Angeles, ‘these had been invaluable possibilities to explore this great city.’
To find out more on how to use, please visit Applying to Thematic Option . Please note that just admitted pupils meet the criteria to utilize and also the due date is April 10th.
These are simply two of the options that are many have for pursuing honors at USC. One could also receive departmental honors by completing a honors thesis in their senior year. Please check out the links that are following info on other honors programs at USC: Dornsife Honors Prorgrams, Viterbi Honors, Renaissance Scholars, Global Scholars, Discovery Scholars, McNair Scholars, Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship.
Don’t forget that even unless you complete any of the aforementioned programs during your time at USC, rest assured that you’ll still be getting an invigorating and intellectually challenging education at among the world’s premier research institutions. Fight up on!
I Enjoy LA!
In the next few months, recently admitted pupils, along with big waves of prospective students on their spring breaks, will be visiting our campus. Because Mid-March through April is our time that is busiest for visitors, visitors should make their reservations early. Please click on the following helpful links for here is how to register for the campus check out:
We’ve spent the last couple of months reading thousands of files, so our company is primed for a few pupil discussion and we are very excited to satisfy all of you! While I’m sure there will be plenty happening on campus, I wanted to highlight several things about this breathtaking town that I really like. I’ve been living in la for the last 9 years and there are still things I have not done, but this is a personal ‘Must See’ list that I’ve compiled for LA visitors. You are hoped by me enjoy!
1) Let’s Take A Ride: For my commute that is everyday take the Metro Expo Line to the office. Since its opening in Spring 2012, USC students have already been able to just take this train to Culver City in western Los Angeles or to Downtown. I ask you to complete the same! Culver City is really a place that is great restaurants, museums and theaters. If you ride the Expo Line going in the opposing direction, it is possible to savor LA Live- house of the Nokia Theatre, the GRAMMY museum and lots of more restaurants. Right door that is next The Staples Center, where the Lakers play ( and some other NBA team that no one caresabout). After that, you can feel free to explore the remainder of Downtown LA and all sorts of it needs to offer! There are three stops near our campus therefore it is really accessible. The fare is cheapand it takes 20 minutes or less getting to either destination. Talk of a way that is great avoid traffic!
2) Why see the global world, when you’ve got the BEACH!: I possibly couldn’t have a ‘Must See’ list about LA without mentioning the coastline! Venice is definitely popular with your visitors because of most of the social people watching you certainly can do. I prefer less crowded beaches like Playa or Santa Monica, but whatever maybe you are in the mood for, you can’t visit Los Angeles without hitting the waves!
3) hear this!: My personal thing that is favorite LA is the amount and variety of live music you can expose you to ultimately. I love going to big concerts at my venue that is favorite Greek Theatre, to look at musicians like Jason Mraz or Phoenix. If I wish to buy one thing more intimate, i will always always check out up and coming singer/songwriters at places like area 5 or The Witzend.
4) An Elevated Rested Place: we had beenn’t going to add restaurants in this post, but this is a new favorite, so I had to help make an exception. Perch restaurant is a french bistro that is inspired in the heart of downtown Los Angeles. It bears its name mostly you an unobstructed 360 degree view of the city because it sits on a rooftop and gives. I highly recommend taking your household right here for Sunday brunch with some music that is live
5) A Lesson in History: Olvera Street could be the part that is oldest for the town. Simply take the Expo Line from campus and then the line that is connecting Union facility. In about half an hour, you certainly will find yourself https://shmoop.pro/1984-by-george-orwell-main-characters/ surrounded by historic structures and a traditional Mexican style plaza with plenty of places to consume and shop. Invest a couple of hours appreciating the beauty that is architectural studying its traditions.
I hope some of you arrive at visit some of these places and let us know what you think if you do!